1. Name of the Program: Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
2. a. Name of the Department: Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
2. b. Name of the Faculty: Science and Engineering
3. Objectives and Goal
The increasing needs for computer science and engineers in worldwide job markets need not to be overemphasized. To keep pace with the advancement in computer science and engineering and provide emphasis in fulfilling the needs, it is essential that efforts to be made both in the public and private sectors to develop human resources in this particular field in Bangladesh.
- The prime objective in establishing the Computer Science and Engineering Department at the European University of Bangladesh is to make a concerted effort towards achieving the goal to provide quality education of 4 years duration at the undergraduate level.
- To give students of undergraduate programs a rigorous and comprehensive academic training on both the fundamental and advanced aspects of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE).
- To make provisions for research and development and dissemination of knowledge in the field of Computer Science and Engineering.
A student in CSE must not only have a sound basis in the fundamental of Engineering but also should be aware of socio-economic problems of the country. Therefore, courses in science, humanities, economics and management are also included in the curricula. The last two semesters will offer the students a number of alternatives to choose from and to specialize in a particular field. Theory and Sessional work shall be supplemented by Project/Thesis work, seminars and visits to relevant research and industrial organization.
There will be three semesters in an academic year, which are namely:
- Spring Semester; (Duration: January to April)
- Summer Semester; (Duration: May to August)
- Fall Semester; (Duration: September to December)
Each semester will be of 15 weeks duration with 13 weeks for class teaching, one-week break for examination preparation and one week for examinations.
5. Duration of the Program:
The duration for B.Sc. in Computer Science and Engineering program will be four years divided into 12 semesters and Diploma Holders will be 10 semesters.
Three credit hours are assigned to a theory course i.e. there are three hours lecture in a week. A class period for theory courses will have a minimum duration of 50 minutes.
One credit of lab course will have a minimum of 24 -hours of actual lab works per semester and each lab class will have a minimum duration of 1.5 -hours.
7. Degree Requirements
(a) Completion of minimum 160.50 credit hours for Regular Students.
(b) Completion of minimum 140.00 credit hours for Diploma Students.
(c) Passing of all courses individually and maintaining a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
8.1 Requirement for admission into the CSE program
Eligibility of Students for Admission in CSE program: The students must fulfill the following requirements:
a) Bangladeshi Students
Applicants must have passed SSC and HSC (or equivalent) examination in Science group with minimum 2nd division in both the examinations or five subjects in O-level and three major subjects (Math, Physics and Chemistry) in A-level education are required. The students who have completed SSC and HSC under GPA system will have to have a minimum CGPA of 2.5. The O- and A-level students must have an average grade of B.
b) Diploma students
Waiver Courses to be given following the guideline of UGC. Those having diploma engineering in Electrical/Electronics/Computer/Power/Mechanical/ Telecommunication are also eligible for admission with waivers in some courses as per decision of the departmental equivalence committee. Courses may be exempted only from GED group. Courses from Basic sciences, Mathematics and any engineering course will not be exempted. The total exempted credits must not be more than 13.5 credits.
c) For evening section:
All Eligible students for evening section will be enrolled as part-time.
d) For Foreign Students
(1) Educational qualifications like Bangladeshi students/equivalent.
(2) Sex category: Male or female.
(3) Must have security clearance from respective Embassy/High Commission in Bangladesh.
e) Course load / Conditions applicable for enrolling students of CSE Program
(i) A full time student can register in a semester for a maximum of 15 credits.
(ii) Part-time student can register in a semester for a maximum of 9 credits.
8.2 Admission Procedure
Admission test will be conducted on the basis of the syllabus of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English (comprehension and functional) subjects of HSC examinations of all boards of secondary and higher secondary school certificates. Admission test will be conducted out of 200 marks and the distribution of marks is given below: